Sunday 29 May 2011

Hear this Robert Zimmerman

I've had several goes at this this week, but I kept changing my mind. And now it's late. The tagline by the way is the opening line from probably the best song about Dylan, Bowie's Song for Bob Dylan, where he compares the voice with sand and glue (as such, it's therefore not an  invocation for the great man to read this blog).

Anyway, Bowie's song was written about forty years ago, and I had constructed an elaborate theory on the bike to work on Monday about Dylan's reputation being essentially solidified by a relatively small number of songs - i.e., we'd be reading the same articles about him if his body of work was much smaller, provided it had the key tracks in (this, by the way would be true of any artist). This article is helpful for this theory, because it essentially says, Dylan is great because of:

  • Blowin' in the Wind (1963)
  • A Hard Rain's a-Gonna Fall (1963)
  • It Ain't Me, Babe (1964)
  • Visions of Johanna (1966)
  • Mr Tambourine Man (1965)
  • Subterranean Homesick Blues (1965)
  • Like a Rolling Stone (1965)
  • Highway 61 Revisited (1965)


But I've been listening to Dylan all week, and come to the considered conclusion that that's nonsense - like some of the inexplicable other evidence in the Independent article (writing Tarantula (#20) is not a reason for  greatness - rather the reverse). In fact, while the best ten Dylan tracks stand up against the best ten from anyone else, actually it's the vast depth of his output that makes him great. So, that's not a bad list above, but it's just too short. I've no intention of writing a full list of what you would need to capture most of the reputation of his Bobness, but here are the obvious ones missing for me:


  • Masters of War (1963), which has probably his best ever line - 'you've thrown the worst fear that can ever be hurled [and it's the hurled that makes it so good], the fear to bring children into the world'
  • Talkin' John Birch Paranoid Blues (c.1964) - because everyone forgets that Bob is often funny and still is (see also the recent Po'boy 'called down to room service, send me a room'
  • Only a pawn in the game (1964)
  • Bob Dylan's 115th Dream (1965), which is a personal favourite, rather than an absolute classic. I can remember where I heard it, and it's sense of fun is infectious
  • It's all over now, Baby Blue (1965). When he famously went electric at Newport, everyone talks about the electric set, but this is the final song, when he was persuaded to do a acoustic song. The version is available on one of the bootleg series and that version is chilling
  • I'll be your baby tonight (1967); Drifter's escape (1967). John Wesley Harding is overlooked as a album, but it's a classic and the final track is the best of the lot, a low-key love song filled with gentle energy that has always remained with me, while Drifter's escape is filled with  mischievous fun, and always a pleasure to listen to.
  • If you see her, say hello (1975). Just one of the saddest, loveliest songs ever written. Overshadowed by the pyrotechnics on rest of the record, but more impressive than the rest of them in the long run.
  • Hurricane (1976). A superlative protest song a decade after he was supposed to have stopped writing them
  • Honest with me (2001). I've always been confused by the inexplicable popularity of Time out of Mind, which to me has always been a mess of too-much-listening-to-jazz, while the follow up Love and Theft is a much better record, deft and assured, and this is a great thumper of a track.

This is a spur of the moment list, so I've obviously missed plenty off. A quick check of my most played tracks suggest in reality I should give space to Positively 4th street, Chimes of Freedom, My Back Pages, Love minus zero and Can you please crawl out your window ahead of some of these. So give them honourable mentions.

However, like Dylan, I'm in favour of these things being done quickly (like his records) and reflecting the vision at one point in time, not a long drawn out thought process. So, while there's more to be said here, others have said it. I simply wanted to show is that we could take away a sheaf of his greatest achievements and we'd still be celebrating the 70th birthday of a man that could go toe to toe on reputation with other popular music figures. With them, he's unassailable.

So, a belated happy birthday Bob, and thanks for everything.

3 comments:

Carl Ashworth said...

Hi Will,
Good to see a blog-nod to His Bobness. He's always been a touchstone to me, both musically and for the way he has a track or album to suit every mood I seem to find myself in.
I don't subscribe to the views of some that he is some sort of prophet or sooth-sayer, but just that he does seem to touch the parts of my psyche that other songwriters can't reach!
Glad you agree that the JWH album is an underrated gem, but mystified that not a single song from Blood on The Tracks got a mention... An oversight surely?
Written for the most part after his devastating break up with wife and mother of his children Sara Lowndes it features some of his most emotionally raw and personal songs as he literally lays his bleeding heart down on reels of acetate...this album does exactly what it says on the tin!
Couldn't pick a favourite as I love the whole thing in its entirity...in fact so much so that I refuse to put it on my ipod. Leaving the running order to a soulless "shuffle" function seems like sacrilege to me!
I can only sum up how I feel about this record by using Bob's own lyrics from Tangled Up in Blue...

"...Every one of those words rang true and glowed like burning coals
Pouring off of every page like it was written in my soul from me to you..."

It gives me goose-bumps just typing the words. Genius!

Thanks Bob. Many happy returns!

Will Marshall said...

To think of some exceptions, who are famous more for the bredth of their work than particular hits, I'd say the Stones, REM, Fleetwood Mac, Queen, perhaps the Doors, Dolly Parton.

JJ said...

I very much enjoyed this post.

Regarding Time Out Of Mind, for me three of its songs outshine anything on Love & Theft: Standing In The Doorway, Tryin' To Get To Heaven and, above all, Not Dark Yet, a late Dylan masterpiece (which Christopher Ricks believes to be inspired by Ode To A Nightingale).

Love & Theft is a better overall listen as an album and loads of fun but only Mississippi gets close to those three songs - and as it happens it dates back to the TOOM sessions. Many of the L&T songs are based on old time country, blues and jazz tunes - the Dreamtime podcast has a fascinating episode digging those up.