Wednesday 11 September 2013

Bibliography, August 2013

BOTM: J. McPherson, Battle Cry of Freedom

W. Cather, O Pioneers
A. Christie, Lord Edgeware dies
A. Christie, Dumb witness
G. Greene, The Comedians
L.P. Hartley, The Boat 
J. Lees-Milne, Ancient as the Hills*

Honourable mentions all round this month. I'm loving Willa Cather at the moment, Greene was moving and excellent, while Hartley is repaying investment outside his big hit. I was also tempted to give BOTM to Lees-Milne, whose diaries remain exquisite, ten years after I read them the first time round. However, McPherson was pretty much perfect. Obviously, I don't know much about the American Civil War (or the second American civil war as I think we should call it), but it is a major - and salutary - topic. My host in the States was of the view it's far more important than the revolution in understanding the country and I think he might be right. This treatment was as engrossing as it is economical (here defined as getting it in to one volume). Buy it; read it.



No comments: