Friday 4 April 2014

Bibliography, March 2014

BOTM: N. MacGregor, A History of the world in 100 objects (2010)

N. Bouvier, The Japanese chronicles (1989)
E. Christiansen, The Northern crusades (2E 1997)*
A. Patchett, Bel Canto (2001)
J. Wyndham, The Kraken wakes (1963)

I am surprised. I hadn't the BOTM expected it to work work as a narrative. I picked up 100 Objects because I found myself about at King's Cross about to go to Buckinghamshire without a book. Obviously I'd heard it at the time, or part of it, but always assumed it would work as reference, not a continuous read. I was wrong. Despite the breadth and the concept, it reads extraordinarily well. Of course, given its construct, it's not actually a very good on the detail of this history - you have to fill in the blanks yourself. But it is fresh, very well written, fascinating and illuminating. I'm slightly annoyed I didn't read it earlier.

The audio series is available, but I would still recommend reading the book. 

No comments: