Sunday 3 April 2011

Journey to the West

written 30th March 2011

Now, I know after reading the whole thing, that the Journey to the West actually started in Xi'an (Chang'an) rather than finished there, but it's as far west as we're getting on this trip. Also, while I wouldn't claim that I have endured the trials of the Tang priest, it's an infuriating city. In our case, made worse by a lack of metro (we like metros, much better than buses) and dodgy guidebook information. Our Lonely Planet seemed not to have a single accurate restaurant listing, though some were nearby.

That said, I'm very glad we came, for obvious and non-obvious reasons. Obviously, this is home of the terracotta warriors, which were fantastic. While I saw and loved them in London at the BM a few years ago, nothing really prepares you for the rank upon rank of them presented in the main excavations. Never mind the afterlife, they're quite intimidating in this one. They are also exquisite, with the famous individuality really shining through particularly when you see them en masse. They are endlessly fascinating, even in their fairly rudimentary display (in a big hanger) It's also symptomatic of Xi'an: it's actually very easy (and cheap) to get there from the city, but then they drop you in a park with no signage to the nearby site.

Non-obviously, Xi'an also has a decent set of other major sights that I never heard of, and a fun little Muslim community. We seem to have done the city in the wrong order, and instead of doing the central sites first first went out the far sites. The far ones (a huge 'Goose' pagoda and the museum) are best, but I'd be much more relaxed if I'd wandered round the mosque and towers in the centre on day one. Even more pointless, but exciting, I dragged A to a stele museum on the last day - obviously we couldn't read anything,  but they have a Nestorian stele with traces of Syriac at the bottom. Honestly, even I was a little bored, but it's got to be seen. We met some people in Beijing who were going to Xi'an later, and they were planning to skip the city sights and go to the mountains. I didn't try to persuade them otherwise, but I hope they saw some of them,

No comments: